Our team has experience in providing statistical analysis for RNA profiling, especially in our interaction with National Center for Forensic Science, we have developed various binary logistic regression models for miRNA profiling to provide accurate identification of:
- forensically relevant body fluids and tissues and the results are also published on the Forensic Science International Supplement Series.
- skin and menstrual blood in forensic traces and our results are also published on the Electrophoresis
- common body fluids by differential expression of selected miRNA Biomarkers and results are also published on the Forensic Science
Our team also have experience in providing statistical analysis for DNA profiling as follows:
- Y-STR: it is a short tandem repeat (STR) on the Y-chromosome. Y-STRs are often used in forensics, paternity, and genealogical DNA testin.Y-STRs are taken specifically from the male Y chromosome. These Y-STRs provide a weaker analysis than autosomal STRs because the Y chromosome is only found in males, which are only passed down by the father, making the Y chromosome in any paternal line practically identical. This causes a significantly smaller amount of distinction between Y-STR samples. Autosomal STRs provide a much stronger analytical power because of the random matching that occurs between pairs of chromosomes during the zygote making process.
- Mitochandrial: in multi-cellular organisms,mtDNA is inherited from the mother (maternally inherited). Mechanisms for this include simple dilution (an egg contains on average 200,000 mtDNA molecules, whereas a healthy human sperm was reported to contain on average 5 molecules, degradation of sperm mtDNA in the male genital tract, in the fertilized egg, and, at least in a few organisms, failure of sperm mtDNA to enter the egg. Whatever the mechanism, this single parent ( uni-parental inheritance)pattern of mtDNA inheritance is found in most animals, most plants and in fungi as well.
- Autosomal DNA: Autosomal DNA is inherited form both parents. Autosomal DNA test may be taken buy either a male or a female. Short tandem repeat (STR) markers on the autosomal chromosomes havebeen used in academic population genetics studies and for extended forensic and sibling studies.